Birth: April 14, 1879 in Janowka, West Prussia
Death: June 12, 1930 in Oakfield, NY
Rev. Ladislaus J. Bartkowski was born in Janowka, West Prussia, the son of Katherine and Francis Bartkowski and was brought to America a year later. He went to school in Buffalo, New York, and trained for the priesthood at St. Mary Seminary, Orchard Lake, Michigan and at Our Lady of the Angels Seminary, Niagara University. He was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Buffalo, New York on March 15, 1902 at the age of 22.
Rev. Bartkowski's first assignment was at St. Stanislaus Church, Buffalo and was temporarily transferred here to Holy Trinity six months later. Parishioners liked this young, energetic priest so much that they requested to the Bishop that he assign Rev. Bartkowski on a permanent basis which he was in August 1902. Due to the enthusiasm of this young and energetic priest, the parishioners again donated towards the purchase of property for a permanent church. Two locations were offered: property on 13th and Niagara Streets for $4,500 and six (6) lots on Falls, between 14th and 15th Streets for $6,000, both owned by Alexander Zaleski. At a parish meeting, it was decided to purchase the 6 lots on Falls Street with a down payment of $500 and the balance mortgaged to Mr. Zaleski. With the purchase of the property, the small wooden church was transferred from 12th Street to the parish's own land on 14th Street and was painted to resemble a village church. After a misunderstanding in the beginning of 1903 that divided the parishioners into two (2) groups – one for the pastor and one for the parish committees, the parish committees were successful and Rev. Ladislaus Bartkowski was transferred to Salamanca.
Pastor of Holy Cross, Salamanca, NY 1903, Transfiguration, Olean, NY 1904, Chaplain of the Felician Sisters in Doyle, NY 1905-1912 and Assistant at St. Stanislaus, Buffalo, St. Hedwig, Dunkirk, NY and St. Cecilia, Oakfield, NY. Burial at St. Stanislaus R. C. Cemetery, Cheektowaga, NY
source: www.findagrave.com and History of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church by Helene Suszcynski